Friday, May 30, 2008

Escape from Zearz

What happens when Iyou has played too many SCUMM games and gets really bored? A new creation!

I think I have officially abandoned The Kingdom of Crim, though I may one day pick it back up. Instead I've decided to make a SCUMM-ish type game called "Escape from Zearz."

For those who have never heard of SCUMM (what, have you lived under a rock?), it's a scripting language used by LucasArts to create such games as Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, the Monkey Island series and countless other games. All of them are considered classics and some of the best adventure games ever created.

Will my game even come close to that? Probably not. I'm not really trying to make a game on par with LucasArts and this is merely a learning tool for me. Still, I would like it to be somewhat fun and playable. That's my overall goal.

As of right now the title and the basic GUI screens are completed. I am borrowing the look of the GUI from the Indiana Jones SCUMM game for the moment. I suppose this really makes it more complicated than it needs to be, since I could use the later Monkey Island series style and limit myself to fewer verbs and commands, but what's life without challenges?

Here's a sample image:




With luck I won't completely drop this project and a playable demo will be out in the next few months. So stay tuned and hope for the best!

No comments: